Members of the Hanging Committee for the 1922 exhibition of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts at the McLellan Galleries. The responsibility of the "hangers" was to group the pictures in a way that would enhance the overall effect.
James Kay studied at Glasgow School of Art and then travelled widely in Europe, where he exhibited successfully on several occasions. He later maintained a studio in Glasgow, some of his best paintings being of the Clyde and west coast.
The lay member of the committee, William Bowes, was a lawyer, partner in the firm of Bowes & Macmillan, and a member of the Faculty of Procurators. Well-known for his appreciation of art, he served on the Council of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts for three years.
Allan Mainds was a son of W R Mainds, who produced many watercolour sketches of Glasgow buildings in the 1890s. He won the Haldane Scholarship at Glasgow School of Art, which allowed him to pursue his studies on the continent. He became a lecturer at the School of Art from 1909 to 1931.
Sculptor George Paulin settled in Glasgow after the First World War. He produced a number of war memorials, including one to the 51st Division at Beaumont Hamel on the Somme and others in Milngavie, Denny and Kirkcudbright.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 052 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
art, artists, Bowes & Macmillan, exhibitions, Faculty of Procurators, Glasgow School of Art, Haldane Scholarship, hangers, Hanging Committee, lecturers, McLellan Galleries, monuments, Royal Glasgow Insititute of the Fine Arts, sculptors, statues, war memorials