Members of the Trades House of Glasgow, photographed in Trades Hall on November 21, 1907.
Trades House came into existence in 1605 as a federation of the fourteen incorporated trades in the city. It was not merely an assembly but also a provider of charity for families of deceased members, and it exercised a measure of control over members' standards of workmanship. The Fleshers' Incorporation, for example, ran a meat and poultry inspectorate and punished such malpractices as "the throwing out of bags, paunches and tripes upon the High Street."
Trades Hall was designed by Robert Adam for the Trades House and built in 1791-1794. The elaborate carvings, decor and stained glass windows of the building are testimony to the prosperity and influence of the incorporated trades at the time.
As a registered charity, the Trades House is also concerned in 2004 with the preservation of Glasgow's architectural heritage and sponsorship of cultural events.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Gf 920.04 WHO
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
charities, Fleshers' Incorporation, guilds, incorporated trades, Trades Hall, Trades House