William Leiper (1839-1916), architect and artist.
Born in Glasgow, Leiper was apprenticed as an architect in Glasgow and London. In 1865 he was commissioned to design Dowanhill United Presbyterian Church in collaboration with interior designer Daniel Cottier. Leiper went on to become one of Glasgow's leading architects working in the Gothic style, designing churches, mansions, and commercial buildings. He won a silver medal at the 1900 Paris International Exhibition for his design for the Sun Insurance Office at the corner of West George Street and Renfield Street. His other buildings include Camphill Queen's Park Church and Partick Burgh Hall. He is best known for the exotic Templeton's Carpet Factory on Glasgow Green, which was inspired by the Doge's Palace in Venice.
Leiper was also a notable artist. He spent two years studying painting in Paris. On his return, he designed the lavish interiors of the Russian imperial yacht Livadia, built in Govan for Tsar Alexander II. He also directed the decoration of the Banqueting Hall in Glasgow City Chambers.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Gf 920.04 WHO
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, artists, Banqueting Hall, Camphill Queen's Park Church, Doge's Palace, Dowanhill Parish Church, Dowanhill United Presbyterian Church, Glasgow City Chambers, Gothic, Livadia, Paris International Exhibition, 1900, Partick Burgh Hall, Sun Insurance Office, Templeton's Carpet Factory, yachts