Heads turn to the camera for an early photograph of Glasgow Town Council in session in the City Chambers, on 19 September, 1907. Lord Provost Sir William Bilsland is in the chair, top left. The others are mainly councillors, although some leading officials are also present, including City Engineer A B McDonald and Chief Constable James Stevenson.
By 1907 Glasgow Corporation had come to be regarded as a world leader in municipal government. An idea of the extent of the Corporation's responsibilities can be gleaned from the chapter headings in the Handbook on the Municipal Enterprises issued in 1904: art galleries and museums; parks; libraries; city improvements and model lodging-houses; public health; sewage; baths and wash-houses; Office of Public Works; cleansing; gas; water; electricity; tramways; markets; telephones; fire; lighting; Inebriates' Reformatory; weights and measures and Labour Bureau.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Gf 920.04 WHO
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
councillors, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow Town Council, local government, lord provosts, municipal buildings