The Very Reverend Edward T S Reid (1871-1938), Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway, Scottish Episcopal Church.
Born to a well known Glasgow family that at one time had three brothers as Deputy Lieutenants of the city, Reid was educated at Fettes College, the University of Glasgow and Edinburgh Theosophical College. On being ordained in 1897 he was appointed curate of Old St Paul's, Edinburgh, before moving to St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh and St Cuthbert's, Hawick, where the congregation grew significantly during his seven years as rector.
In 1910 Reid was appointed Rector of St Bride's Church in Hyndland. During his time there, the Church was rebuilt and enlarged, with a sizeable contribution to the cost coming from the rector himself. Membership was greatly increased and in 1920 a stained glass window depicting St Kentigern was installed to commemorate the appointment of the Reverend Reid as Dean of Glasgow and Galloway. In 1921 he was consecrated as Bishop of the Diocese.
Reid left Glasgow in 1931 on his appointment as Bishop of the Diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 052 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bishops, clergymen, curates, deans, Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway, rectors, Scottish Episcopal Church, St Bride's Church, stained glass windows