A target indicator in George Square showing various areas of the city involved in the anti-tuberculosis X-ray campaign of 1957. George Square was the location for a temporary pavilion housing two X-ray units. The statue of Robert Burns is in the foreground, with Merchants' House in the background.
The intensive mass radiography survey took place over a five week period in March and April, 1957. It was organised by Glasgow Corporation and the Western Regional Hospital Board in co-operation with the Department of Health for Scotland and the Scottish Information Office. 714,915 people were X-rayed at the thirty-seven mobile units, a much higher response than had been anticipated.
The extensive publicity surrounding the campaign was carried out with the help of employers and local celebrities. Films, advertisements, posters, stickers, badges, loudspeakers mounted on vans and even on an aeroplane, together with a prize draw, contributed to the campaign's success.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 614.542 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, Department of Health for Scotland, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow X-ray Campaign, Merchants' House, public health, publicity, radiography, Scottish Information Office, statues, target indicators, TB, tuberculosis, Western Regional Hospital Board, X-rays