Margaret Macdonald (1865-1933), artist and designer.
Born in Staffordshire, Macdonald moved with her family to Glasgow and enrolled with her sister Frances at Glasgow School of Art. In 1894 they opened a studio in Hope Street, where they made and sold various items of metalwork, embroidery and jewellery. They were introduced to Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Herbert McNair. Their common interests inspired each to produce new designs and works of art, putting "The Four" in the vanguard of Glasgow's art community in the 1890s.
Macdonald married Mackintosh in 1900 and they collaborated on many projects, such as the Willow Tea Rooms. They exhibited successfully in Vienna, Berlin and Turin in the early years of their marriage. It was often unclear who was responsible for which element of their work, with the more famous Mackintosh ever ready to acknowledge the importance of his wife's contributions.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 453854
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
art nouveau, artists, arts, designers, embroidery, fashions, Glasgow School of Art, jewellery, Willow Tea Rooms, women