James MacLehose (1857-1943), publisher and printer.
MacLehose became a partner in the family business of James MacLehose & Sons in 1881. The firm, run by his father James, was already "publisher and bookseller to the University of Glasgow". Its publications included numerous volumes on local history, such as The old country houses of the Glasgow gentry and Memories and portraits of one hundred Glasgow men, both edited by James MacLehose Snr.
In 1894, along with his brother Robert, James MacLehose Jnr acquired his uncle's firm, Robert MacLehose & Co, the official University printers. New printing and bookbinding works were built at Anniesland in 1904, to handle increased production. On Robert's death in 1907, James took over as chairman of Robert MacLehose & Co. He retired from his involvement in James MacLehose & Sons in 1919, to concentrate on printing. He edited the Scottish Historical Review, published at Glasgow University Press, from 1903 to 1928.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 052 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bookbinders, bookbinding, books, editors, Glasgow University Press, James MacLehose & Sons, local history, printers, printing, publishers, publishing, Robert MacLehose & Co, Scottish Historical Review, University of Glasgow