Sir Archibald Campbell of Succoth (1852-1932), owner of the Garscube Estate.
The Garscube Estate had been in the hands of the Campbells of Succoth since 1687. The fifth baronet was best known locally as Sir Archibald Campbell of Garscube. A lawyer by profession, Campbell was also a philanthropist and an evangelist. In 1921 he gave part of the Garscube Estate to Glasgow Corporation for a public park.
Dawsholm Park contains 72 acres rich in wildlife. A nature trail was established around the wooded parkland in 1972 to allow visitors to make the most of the opportunities to study the animals, birds and plants in the area. This is a favourite park with children who are particularly fond of the tame squirrels.
The remainder of the Garscube Estate passed from family ownership during the lifetime of Sir Archibald's son, Sir George Campbell of Succoth, when it was purchased by the University of Glasgow in 1948.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC052 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Campbells of Succoth, Dawsholm Park, evangelists, Garscube Estate, landowners, lawyers, nature trails, parks, philanthropists, squirrels, University of Glasgow, wildlife