John Keppie (1862-1945), architect and artist.
Keppie was born in North Frederick Street and educated at Ayr Academy and the University of Glasgow. He received his professional training in Paris and much of his work displays French influences. He assisted James Sellars in a number of projects as an apprentice with the firm Campbell Douglas & Sellars, most notably with the buildings for the International Exhibition of 1888 in Kelvingrove Park.
In 1889 Keppie went into partnership with John Honeyman in the firm Honeyman & Keppie. He was associated with Glasgow buildings such as Pettigrew & Stephens' department store, Martyrs' Public School, Glasgow Art Club and buildings for the proprietors of the Glasgow Herald and Daily Record.
A design by one of the firm's juniors, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, won the contract to build the Glasgow School of Art. Keppie also acted as advisor to Glasgow Corporation for its massive council house building programme after the First World War.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC052 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, artists, Campbell Douglas & Sellars, council housing, Daily Record, Glasgow Art Club, Glasgow Herald, Glasgow School of Art, Honeyman & Keppie, International Exhibition, 1888, Martyrs' Public School, Pettigrew & Stephens