The facade of an office building designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson, at 99-107 West Nile Street. The photograph was taken in 1996, since when the facade has undergone a facelift to restore its original appearance. The shops at street level have changed hands and been rebuilt on a number of occasions since their original construction.
Although not one of Thomson's best known works, the 1858 office building in West Nile Street does include some of his trademark design features. The ground floor takes account of the slope in the street to establish a strong horizontal base for the other two storeys. Differing intervals between the windows clearly distinguish the bands of masonry that form the top storeys. The incised decorations on the walls, and the use of columns, can be seen in many other Thomson buildings. In particular, the top floor colonnade is reflected in the flank of the Caledonia Road Church.
Reference: Illustrations vol.35B, p.78
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Caledonia Road United Presbyterian Church, columns, decorations, office buildings, offices, shops, windows