The entrance to the Western Baths Club in Cranworth Street, Hillhead, 1994. The symbol on the wall to the left of the doorway is an ARP sign for emergency water supply for fire fighting, dating from the Second World War.
Designed by local architects Clarke & Bell, the Western Baths Club building was completed in 1881 with a fashionable Turkish bath as its showpiece. Early financial troubles resulting in liquidation were overcome when the club re-opened in 1886. Over the years, the Western Baths Amateur Swimming Club has been very successful, with many championship winning performances from both men and women members.
In the 21st century, the club remains open to members who are required to pay an annual subscription. Its facilities include a swimming pool, gymnasium, social area, steam room, hot room, tepidarium, cold water plunge pool, Turkish bath and sauna. Naturist sessions are organised by the independent Scottish Outdoor Club.
Reference: Illustrations vol.35B, p.68
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
air raid precautions, ARP, baths, civil defence, Clarke & Bell, clubs, firefighting, naturism, nudism, Scottish Outdoor Club, Second World War, swimmers, swimming pools, symbols, Turkish baths, water supply, Western Baths Amateur Swimming Club, Western Baths Club