North Park House, the headquarters of BBC Scotland, photographed c 1980 from Queen Margaret Drive. J T Rochead designed the house for John and Matthew Bell of Glasgow Pottery. Construction began in 1869, and it was completed in 1871, after John Honeyman had taken over as architect.
The building was purchased by Isabella Elder and in 1883 a college for women was established there, named after Queen Margaret, the wife of King Malcolm Canmore. The College inaugurated a medical curriculum in 1890 and in 1895 John Keppie and Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed new buildings for the medical school. In 1892 Queen Margaret College became part of the University of Glasgow and all teaching was transferred to Gilmorehill in 1935.
BBC Scotland moved Broadcasting House from West George Street to North Park House in 1935. The building was subsequently extended as the BBC's operations expanded. Plans have been announced for BBC Scotland to set up a new home in Pacific Quay in 2006, after which North Park House will be restored to its former glory.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 1, Planning Department
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, BBC Scotland, benefactors, British Broadcasting Corporation, Broadcasting House, broadcasting studios, Glasgow Pottery, medical schools, medicine, North Park House, Northpark House, Queen Margaret College, University of Glasgow, women students