Quay Gardens, running along the north bank of the Clyde in the city centre, photographed looking eastwards c 1990. Running parallel in the background is Clyde Street, including the frontage of St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral, with the Merchants' Steeple in the distance. The ship moored to the Quay upriver is the Carrick.
The Clyde Walkway was created as a result of environmental improvements begun during the 1970s, with the demolition of derelict buildings to make room for a pleasant riverside walk free from traffic. The section shown in the photograph was formerly Custom House Quay. When completed, the Clyde Walkway will link the city centre to New Lanark, 40 miles along the Clyde Valley.
The Carrick was launched in 1864 as the clipper City of Adelaide. She is one of the few sailing passenger ships from the 19th century still in existence. She lay moored in the Clyde as headquarters of the RNVR Club (Scotland)from 1949 until 1992, when she was transferred to the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 1, Planning Department
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Carrick, City of Adelaide, clippers, Clyde Walkway, Custom House Quay, Merchants' Steeple, pedestrianisation, River Clyde, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, sailing ships, Scottish Maritime Museum, St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral, streetscenes