Red sandstone tenements stretching down High Street towards Duke Street. The Victorian flatted properties were built by the City Improvement Trust, 1899-1902, and were re-roofed, refurbished and stonecleaned in 1985. The city coat of arms is carved on the panel on the wall, right. Atmospheric pollution had rendered Glasgow's tenements dull, dark and sooty: after stonecleaning, the original attractive shades of honey, blonde, red and peach have re-emerged in all their splendour.
The Council's long-standing policy is to reserve street-level properties for commercial use and the upper floors for homes. It has generally been council policy in recent years to resist a change of use from residential to commercial, where upper floors are wholly devoted to residential use, and applications for new public houses in such situations are invariably refused.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 1, Architecture
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
apartments, City Improvement Trust, coats of arms, flats, public houses, red sandstone, refurbishment, shops, slum clearance, stone cleaning, tenements, urban regeneration