The interior of Hillhead Library, showing the staff counter and balcony, photographed in 1979. The building was designed by Rogerson & Spence. The open circular staircases to the balcony were intended to give a spacious appearance to the interior.
An area with a high residential population in the vicinity of the University of Glasgow would seem to be an obvious location for a library. However, the Hillhead area missed out on the library developments in the early years of the 20th century. Andrew Carnegie had offered funds to cover the cost of building a library in 1907, but lack of a suitable site site proved a stumbling block.
After decades of campaigning by local residents, the demolition of the former Hillhead Burgh Hall in Byres Road finally presented an opportunity. Hillhead Library opened on the site in 1975. The library immediately became the most popular in the city in terms of the number of items issued, a position it has maintained ever since. A Real Learning Centre was introduced in April 2001.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 3, City Libraries
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
balconies, community libraries, Hillhead Burgh Hall, Hillhead Library, librarians, lifelong learning, Real Learning Centres