The counter and adult lending area in Woodside Library, pictured shortly after the completion of the second stage of modernisation in 1979.
Woodside Library opened in 1905, the first of seven libraries designed by architect J R Rhind for Glasgow Corporation. It was the largest of the Carnegie libraries in Glasgow, both in terms of floor area and the number of volumes held.
In 1960 Glasgow libraries introduced a policy of upgrading and modernising older library buildings, as time and funds permitted. In the case of Woodside, a special effort had to be made to ensure that the plasterwork should simulate the original mouldings, and that other features of architectural interest were retained. The original reading room was converted into a new adult lending department and new lighting, carpeting and fitments were installed. A Real Learning Centre was introduced in June 2002.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 3, City Libraries
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
community libraries, librarians, lifelong learning, listed buildings, plasterwork, Real Learning Centres, Woodside Library