Shop floor activity at the Weir Group's factory in Cathcart, photographed c 1990.
The firm of G & J Weir was founded by brothers George and James Weir in 1870. Initially they were marine engineering consultants, and produced patents for numerous successful products. In 1886 they moved into manufacturing by opening the Holm Foundry in Cathcart. The firm's success was built on the manufacture of pumps, boilers and other auxiliary equipment for ships.
William Weir, son of James, became chairman in 1912. Under his leadership the firm diversified into the manufacture of compressors, motor cars and aircraft, as well as armaments and munitions during the world wars. The company became the Weir Group in 1971, and its wide range of products helped it survive during the years of the decline of the British shipbuilding industry.
Today, the Weir Group remains a major employer on the South Side. Products include pumps that move almost everything from sewage and oil to acid and seawater, valves, materials-handling equipment, desalination plants and water, sewage and effluent treatment plants.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 6, Early Glasgow
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
airplanes, armaments, boilers, compressors, factories, G & J Weir, Holm Foundry, marine engineering, marine engineers, motor cars, munitions, patents, pumps, shipbuilding, Weir Group