Sir Daniel Macaulay Stevenson (1851-1944)was a merchant, philanthropist, councillor and Lord Provost (1911-1914).
Born in Glasgow, Stevenson made his fortune as head of a large firm of coal exporters. He was elected as a Liberal councillor in 1892 and remained on the Council until 1914. He played a major role in electrification of the tram system and in the provision of free libraries in the city. He was a magistrate, City Treasurer, Convener of Finance, and Lord Provost, the first holder of the latter office following Glasgow's absorption of Govan, Partick and Pollokshaws in 1912.
In later life, Stevenson devoted his energies to promoting the cause of education. In 1929 he helped establish the Scottish National Academy of Music in the Athenaeum building. He was a most generous benefactor to the University of Glasgow, where he was Chancellor from 1934 to 1944. He is commemorated in the Stevenson Building which houses the University's indoor sports facilities.
Reference: GC 052 BAI, no.2780
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Athenaeum, coal merchants, councillors, Liberal Party, libraries, lord provosts, magistrates, philanthropists, Scottish National Academy of Music, Stevenson Building for Physical Education, trams, treasurers, University of Glasgow