Sample products of John Brown & Son of the Barrowfield Weaving Factory in French Street in Bridgeton, illustrated in the Commercial year book of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce & Manufactures in 1915. The firm is described as "manufacturers of muslin draperies, Madras muslin, harness muslin."
The manufacture of muslin goods was an important industry in Glasgow. Cotton yarns imported from Egypt and America were woven on plain, lappet and jacquard looms. Jacquard harness looms were used to produce fancy figured leno goods, known as "Madras muslin." These productions were extensively used for light draperies at home and abroad. Other fabrics produced on harness looms were used for dresses and for curtains.
John Brown & Son built the factory in 1899 at a cost of £8,300. The complex consisted of three main buildings and a number of sheds. In 1900 the firm expanded with further extensive premises at the Clutha Weaving Factory in nearby Carstairs Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 381
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, Barrowfield Weaving Factory, Clutha Weaving Factory, cotton, curtains, draperies, drapers, drapery, dresses, dry goods manufacturers, fabrics, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, John Brown & Son, looms, Madras muslin, muslin manufacturers, textile industries, textiles, weaving