Queen's Park United Presbyterian Church, Langside Avenue, photographed in the early years of the 20th century. The fourth of Alexander "Greek" Thomson's Glasgow churches, it was considered to be one of the architect's most original works and confirmed his departure from the fashion for the Gothic style which prevailed in church architecture at the time. The belfry, in the form of an elongated dome, is heavily influenced by Indian architecture.
The church and hall opened in 1869. The lavish interior decoration of stencilled wood panelling as well as the stained glass windows were designed by Daniel Cottier.
The last German air raid on Glasgow during the Second World War was on the night of 23 March 1943. An incendiary bomb fell on the church and the subsequent blaze (fuelled by the lavish wooden decorative panels) lit up the south side of Glasgow. The gaunt ruins of the building were later demolished.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection, Illustrations box 29, p.41a
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
air raids, architects, belfries, church domes, churches, fires, incendiary bombs, interior design, interior designers, Luftwaffe, Queen's Park United Presbyterian Church, Second World War, stained glass windows