A postcard view of St Anne's Church, Whitevale Street, Dennistoun, some time after its completion in 1933.
Described as "a landmark in church design in Scotland", St Anne's was the first of thirty church buildings designed for the Roman Catholic Church by Jack Coia of the architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia. Built in red brick with white stone dressing, in a modern style heavily influenced by Byzantine and Renaissance architecture, it reflects the influence of the architect's Italian background.
The main entrance consists of three stone semi-circular arches carved with Celtic motifs and a central keystone with the Madonna and Child by Archibald Dawson. Wide spanning barrel vaults make the maximum use of space inside the church, where brick is used extensively to form piers and pulpit.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, P9783
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, architecture, bricks, Byzantine, churches, Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, Italians, Madonna and Child, modernism, Renaissance, Roman Catholic churches, St Anne's Church