The imposing Glasgow head office of the Bank of Scotland, 110 St Vincent Street, c 1970. Designed by James Miller and Richard Gunn, the building was inspired by the Guaranty Trust Building on Broadway, New York. It was constructed between 1924 and 1927 as the Glasgow headquarters of the Union Bank of Scotland and is one of a number of city centre buildings of the period to display a strong American influence.
The interior of the building was equally impressive. The ground floor banking hall had marble columns surrounding a six-storey lightwell. It included areas carved by Holmes & Jackson, with decorative details designed by Joseph Armitage.
The Union Bank of Scotland merged with the Bank of Scotland in 1955. The building was deemed surplus to requirements after the Bank of Scotland amalgamated with the Halifax Building Society in 2001. In 2003, plans were announced for a £20 million conversion project to turn the former bank into offices.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/2650
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bank of Scotland, banking, banks, Guaranty Trust Building, HBOS, Holmes & Jackson, interior decoration, lightwells, office buildings, Union Bank of Scotland