Glasgow's cheese market, in Walls Street, pictured for the December 1989 issue of Glasgow City Council's newspaper The Bulletin. At that time, it was announced that planning permission had been granted for a development including flats, a lecture theatre and gallery.
There was a cheese market in Glasgow from medieval times, when it was held on certain days under magisterial supervision. There was a rule that goods sold must be taken away within 48 hours. Responsibility for the cheese market passed to Glasgow Corporation in 1905. At that time, only wholesale business was carried on there.
The development planned in 1989 did not take place. Instead, the old cheese market building lay derelict for a number of years until the shell was developed as a Spanish restaurant and tapas bar. The main bar is a dramatic recreation of a renaissance Spanish townhouse, while a maze of corridors lead to other drinking, dancing and eating areas. There is an internal courtyard, two basement club rooms and a live entertainment venue.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 13, December 1989
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Arta, Bulletin, Canvas Club, cheese, Glasgow Corporation, markets, Spanish restaurants, tapas bars