North Woodside swimming pool after upgrading. The picture appeared in the May 1991 issue of Glasgow City Council's newspaper The Bulletin. White and beige tiles, honey coloured facing brick, and light wood finish give a continental look to the pool.
The original building, opened in 1882, had twenty-seven private baths for men, seven for women, and sixty-seven washing stalls in the "steamie". 60,000 people a year used the facility, at a charge of a penny for adults and a half-penny for juveniles.
The refurbished pool was part of North Woodside Leisure Centre. It was opened by Parks and Recreation Convener Danny Crawford assisted by Olympic swimmer Alison Sheppard, who at the time was working in a local bank. Facilities include a spectacular fountain arrangement, jacuzzi, steam room, multi-purpose dance and physical fitness studio and sun beds.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 13, May 1991
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bathing, baths, Bulletin, North Woodside Baths and Wash-house, North Woodside Leisure Centre, swimming, swimming pools