Early days at Glasgow Airport in Renfrewshire. These passengers and cars outside the terminal were photographed in 1968, two years after the airport's opening.
Abbotsinch was originally a military airfield. From 1943 until 1963 it was run by the Royal Navy and known as HMS Sanderling. With Renfrew Airport proving inadequate to meet the needs of increasing air travel, Abbotsinch was acquired by Glasgow Corporation as a replacement.
Glasgow Abbotsinch Airport was officially opened for business on 2 May 1966. By December the airport recorded its 1 millionth passenger. In 1973 the main runway was extended from 6,720 feet to 8,720 feet to cater for larger jets. Current operators BAA acquired the airport in 1975.
Transatlantic flights began in 1990, following the lifting of the monopoly previously held by Prestwick Airport. Facilities have been regularly upgraded, and at the beginning of the 21st century Glasgow is Scotland's leading airport, handling over 7 million passengers and 89,000 air transport movements a year.
Reference: Glasgow Collection Illustrations vol.34, p.3
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Abbotsinch Airport, airports, BAA, British Airports Authority, Glasgow Airport, Glasgow Corporation, HMS Sanderling, motor cars, passengers, Prestwick Airport, Renfrew Airport, runways, terminals