Trolleybuses in West Nile Street, photographed in 1966.
Glasgow's first trolleybuses were introduced in 1949, when service 102 replaced trams on the route from Polmadie to Riddrie. At first they were based at Larkfield garage, but Hampden garage became their home from 1950 until the last trolleybus was taken off the road in 1967.
The introduction of trolleybuses eased traffic congestion and High Street was one of the first thoroughfares to benefit from the lifting of tram tracks. At its peak, the city's trolleybus system had 195 vehicles, the highest of any city outside London. Despite being nicknamed "silent death" by Glasgwegians more accustomed to the clanking of trams, trolleybuses had a good safety record.
Despite their many advantages, trolleybuses failed to inspire the sort of affection Glaswegians felt for their trams. Few tears were shed when the last vehicle on service 105 made its final run from Queen's Cross to Clarkston in May 1967.
Reference: Glasgow Collection Illustrations vol.33, p.9
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Hampden Garage, Larkfield Garage, silent death, streetscenes, traffic congestion, trams, trolley buses, trolley-buses, trolleybuses