The newly restored Tollcross Mansionhouse, pictured for the November 1993 issue of Glasgow City Council's newspaper The Bulletin.
Situated in Tollcross Park, Tollcross Mansionhouse was built in 1848 by David Bryce for the Dunlop family. Glasgow Corporation purchased the house and surrounding land in 1896. Over the years the property deteriorated to the point where it was threatened with demolition. It was saved by a £2 million restoration package put together by the Christina Mary Hendrie Trust, Historic Scotland, Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Development Agency, Scottish Homes and Shettleston Housing Association.
In 2003 the restored building is a care home for the elderly, providing accommodation and care for twenty-two persons in single rooms, while allowing them to retain their independence. It is owned by Shettleston Housing Association and managed by the Church of Scotland Board of Social Responsibility.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 11, November 1993
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bulletin, care homes, Christina Mary Hendrie Trust, Church of Scotland Board of Social Responsibilty, Dunlop family, Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Development Agency, Historic Scotland, mansions, old age pensioners, old people's homes, old persons, restoration, Scottish Homes, Shettleston Housing Association, Tollcross House, Tollcross Mansionhouse