The east end of the crypt of Glasgow Cathedral, drawn by Robert Billings in 1847. To the right, the stairs leading to the lower level of the eastern limb extends to the full width of the lower church. On the left, looking south, is the first of four chapels.
In the south-east corner of the crypt, one of the chapels is occupied by a display of carved stones taken from various areas of the Cathedral. The same chapel contains St Mungo's well, which supplied water required for services in the Cathedral. Another chapel is the Nurses' Chapel, a place of refuge and solace for nurses at the nearby Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
This portion of the crypt was built in the 13th century, in the time of Bishop William de Bondington. He extended the original Cathedral to the east, starting with the crypt (or lower church) to support the choir above. The lie of the land dictated the need for steps down to the eastern end.
Reference: Mitchell Library, f720.941BIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
chapels, choirs, crypts, Glasgow Cathedral, Nurses' Chapel, St Mungo's well, vaulting, wells