The choir of Glasgow Cathedral, looking east, drawn by Robert Billings in 1847. In order to emphasise the main features of the choir, Billings did not include the gallery and pews in use by the congregation at the time, and also "many adjuncts very foreign to its original character."
The choir was built during the episcopacy of William de Bondington (1233-1258). A collection of funds throughout Scotland was authorised in Lent from 1242, in order to speed up construction. It is thought that the shrine of St Kentigern and the high altar were situated at the eastern end of the choir when it was completed.
The main area of the choir is three storeys high, as was traditional in the great medieval cathedrals. There are stone-vaulted aisles round all three sides at ground level, and screens would have enclosed them in medieval times. The east wall has two storeys, with four tall lancets with stained glass windows above two arches leading to the aisles.
Reference: Mitchell Library, f720.941BIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aisles, arches, choirs, Glasgow Cathedral, lancets, stained glass windows, vaulting