The nave and south aisle of Glasgow Cathedral, looking west, drawn by Robert Billings in 1847. Ribbed stone vaulting is a feature of the south aisle, left, separated by pillars from the nave, right.
Work began to build the aisle walls shortly after 1200. The wall shafts started at that time determined the width of the bays. This in turn affected the design of the nave, whose bays are somewhat narrower than those of the choir.
The walls of the nave up to the level of the sills of the windows were built during the episcopacy of Bishop Walter (1207-1232). Most of the nave above sill level probably dates from after 1330. The breadth of the Nave is 63 feet, and the height of the nave roof is 105 feet.
Reference: Mitchell Library, f720.941BIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aisles, cathedrals, Glasgow Cathedral, naves, pillars, sills, vaulting, windows