The University of Glasgow's Lion and Unicorn Staircase in its original location at the Old College in High Street, drawn by Robert Billings in 1848. The staircase was designed by William Riddell and built in the outer court of the Old College in the High Street in the 1690s. Beyond the staircase is the arched gateway which provided access to the courtyard from High Street. The Scottish Unicorn and the English Lion, whose statues guard the stairway, are the supporters of the Royal coat of arms.
The staircase was dismantled when the University left High Street in 1870 and rebuilt on the new site at Gilmorehill. In contrast to the right-hand turn shown here, it now turns to the left as a consequence of a further relocation in 1929.
Reference: Mitchell Library, f720.941BIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coats of arms, courtyards, entrances, gateways, Lion and Unicorn Staircase, lions, Old College, outer court, quadrangles, sculptures, staircases, statues, unicorns, University of Glasgow