The High Street entrance to the Old College, University of Glasgow, drawn by Robert Billings in 1848. The arched gateway had been erected by the middle of the 17th century, and the clock was installed in Gothic tower in the background in 1686.
The building is shown to be in good condition, unlike its neighbours in High Street which, by the middle of the 19th century, were fast deteriorating into slums. However, the University's decision to move to Gilmorehill in 1870 resulted in the demolition of the Old College buildings to make way for a railway station. Happily, some of the stonework from the entrance was preserved and in 1888 the surviving masonry was incorporated in Pearce Lodge on University Avenue.
Reference: Mitchell Library, f720.941BIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
clock towers, clocks, coats of arms, entrances, gatehouses, gateways, Old College, Pearce Lodge, University of Glasgow, women