Seal of Andrew Muirhead, Bishop of Glasgow, 1455-1473. St Kentigern is represented in pontifical robes, with mitre and crosier. Below him is a shield bearing the arms of the bishop's family, Muirhead of Lauchope. There are three representations of the legendary salmon with the ring.
Bishop Muirhead built St Nicholas' Chapel in 1456, along with St Nicholas' Hospital which adjoined it. In 1471 Muirhead added Provand's Lordship to the north of the chapel, and it survives on Castle Street today as the oldest house in Glasgow.
Muirhead played a significant role as a statesman while Bishop of Glasgow. Following the death of James II in 1560, he was appointed to the Council of Regency which ruled Scotland until James III was old enough to take over. He was sent as ambassador to arrange the marriage of young James to Margaret, princess of Denmark, which took place in 1469. At the same time, he helped negotiate the cession of the Orkney and Shetland Islands from Norway to Scotland.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
ambassadors, bishops, chapels, coats of arms, Council of Regency, heraldry, hospitals, Muirhead of Lauchope, Provand's Lordship, regents, rings, salmon, seals, shields, St Nicholas' Chapel, St Nicholas' Hospital, statesmen