The University of Glasgow mace.
The silver mace, symbol of academic authority, was acquired in 1465 and reformed in 1490. It was removed to France for safe keeping, along with other valuables, at the time of the Reformation in 1560. It was restored to the University in 1590 and at the beginning of the 21st century it is still carried by the bedellus in front of the rector on ceremonial occasions.
The mace is 4 feet 9.75 inches in height and weighs 8 pounds 1 ounce. The top is hexagonal, with a shield (each of which is illustrated here) on each side. The arms of the City of Glasgow and of Scotland are represented on the left with an inscription summarising the history of the mace. Represented on the right are the arms of Douglas of Dalkeith as borne by the Regent Morton, the restorer of the College in 1577; of Lord Hamilton, the first endower, and of Bishop Turnbull, the founder.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coats of arms, heraldry, maces, Old College, rectors, shields, silver, University of Glasgow