The elaborate seal of William Lauder, Bishop of Glasgow from 1408 until 1425. In the centre is a representation of the Trinity, with a figure kneeling in adoration on either side. Below is the figure of a bishop within an arched recess, and to his right a shield bearing the coat of arms of the Lauders of the Merse. Shields bearing the arms of Scotland are shown at the sides, alongside two upright figures of saints. The inscription is S' Willemi dei Gratia Episcopi Glasgvensis.
The bishop's coat of arms, identical to the seal, are inscribed on the parapet of the central tower of Glasgow Cathedral, suggesting that the tower was erected in the early 15th century. It is the earliest heraldic device to be found in the Cathedral. During Lauder's time, restoration work was carried out on the upper part of the north-west tower, which had been damaged by lightning.
Lauder was also Lord Chancellor of Scotland.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bishops, chancellors, coats of arms, Glasgow Cathedral, heraldry, Lauders of the Merse, seals, towers, Trinity