Seal and counter-seal of William de Bondington, Bishop of Glasgow, 1233-1258. Unusually, the seal depicting St Kentigern appears to have been copied from that of the previous bishop, Walter. The counter-seal shows St Kentigern consecrating a bishop, kneeling before him. Bondington was a place name in Berwickshire, from which William took his name. Two years before his consecration in Glasgow, he was appointed chancellor by King Alexander II.
Once he became bishop, William de Bondington devoted his energies to the continuing project of building Glasgow Cathedral, progress on which had stalled. He raised funds to pay off debts that had accrued, helped by an ordinance for a national collection towards the cost of the building, held each year during Lent. He is generally considered to have been responsible for the completion of the choir and the crypt. The doorways of the sacristy (Upper Chapter House) and of the Lower Chapter House also date from his time.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bishops, chancellors, chapter houses, choirs, crypts, Glasgow Cathedral, sacristies, sacristy, seals