An ancient Chapter Seal of Glasgow, used in the time of Bishop Jocelin. A statute of 1266 stipulated that documents requiring the Chapter's seal were only to be sealed at Whitsunday. This seal was always entrusted to the care of the dean and two canons, and to be locked up by three locks, the keys of which were to be kept by different canons.
The Chapter of Glasgow was the bishop's court. The bishops of Glasgow were lords of the regality and administered justice throughout that territory, generally by means of a bailie appointed by themselves. In addition to this local jurisdiction, civil and ecclesiastical law was dispensed within the diocese by judges nominated by the archdeacon.
The court was often held in the chapter house in Glasgow Cathedral. A large amount of civil business was transacted there, often by suitors who had travelled from outside the burgh attracted by the good reputation of the Chapter of Glasgow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bailies, bishops, burghs, canons, chapter houses, Chapter of Glasgow, courts of law, Glasgow Cathedral, seals, Whitsunday