"Govan in 1757" drawn by T C F Brotchie for the Old Govan Club Transactions, 1915.
Brotchie's drawing was based on one by the Foulis Academy pupil Robert Paul, completed in 1757. It shows the houses on Water Row that led down to the ferry landing, flanked by the famous Doomster or Moot Hill (left) and the Govan Old Parish Church.
The flat-topped hill is believed to have been created in the early Middle Ages when Govan and neighbouring Partick served as the capital of a British kingdom after the capture of Dumbarton by the Vikings in 870. It may have been the base of a fortification but the prevailing view among archaeologists is that it was a court or law hill where justice was dispensed. The hill was removed in the the early 19th century and Reid's Dyeworks erected on the site. The church was demolished in 1761-1762 to make way for a more modern church building.
Reference: G941 435 L4
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
churches, Doomster Hill, Govan Old Parish Church, Moot Hill, moot hills, mottes, Old Govan Club