Queen Mary's Stone, an inscribed stone slab at Court Knowe in Cathcart.
On 13 May 1568, Mary, Queen of Scots' army was routed at the Battle of Langside by the forces of the Regent, James Stewart, Earl of Moray (1531-1570). According to legend the queen watched the course of the battle from Court Knowe. This seems unlikely as the hilltop is only about 100 yards from Cathcart Castle, which was held by Sir William Semple who fought with the Regent's army.
A thorn bush was planted on the spot in the 1790s and when it died General Sir George Cathcart (1794-1854) erected a stone in its place. This was replaced at the end of the 19th century by the carved sandstone block pictured here and which still stands on Court Knowe in 2004.
Reference: GC 941.435 OLD
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Battle of Langside, battles, Cathcart Castle, Court Knowe, monuments, Queen Mary's Stone