A photograph of an artist's highly-stylised impression of the proclamation at Glasgow Cross of the Papal Bull constituting the University of Glasgow, 1451. The artist has assumed that Glasgow Cross was originally near the top of High Street, at its junction with Rottenrow and Drygate. The Bishop's Castle (centre) and Glasgow Cathedral (right) are in the background.
The University was founded by Pope Nicholas V on 7 January 1451 in a letter which was authenticated by the Papal seal, or "bull". It established a stadium generale or university which would provide classes in theology, canon and civil law and arts. Historians believe that William Turnbull, Bishop of Glasgow (depicted here with the letter?) was the man responsible for convincing the Pope to establish the University, which would add to the prestige of the city and to the status of Glasgow Cathedral. Glasgow's was the second university to be founded in Scotland, after St Andrews (1412).
Reference: GC 941.435 OLD
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bishops, Celtic Crosses, Glasgow Cross, market crosses, paintings, Papal Bulls, proclamations, soldiers, trumpeters, trumpets, University of Glasgow