A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of James Richardson of Ralston (1790-1860). The painting was by Sir Daniel Macnee.
Richardson was an important Glasgow sugar merchant and founder of James Richardson & Co in 1822. Richardson had worked in Edinburgh for Thomson & Leslie. He did not set up home in Glasgow until c 1830.
Twice a week the Glasgow sugar merchants would catch the steamer to Greenock and Port Glasgow, to meet and do business with the sugar refiners there. The ship left the Broomielaw at 7.30 in the morning. Richardson was renowned for sitting near the funnel, enveloped in a blue cloak and engrossed in a book which he would bring with him to read during the journey. He died in 1860 and is buried in the Necropolis.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
imports, James Richardson & Co, Necropolis, portraits, sugar importers, sugar merchants, Thomson & Leslie