A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of David Hamilton (1768-1843). The painting was by Saxon.
Glasgow-born Hamilton was an apprentice to a stonemason before becoming an architect. Famous for designing some of Scotland's most famous country houses he was also responsible for many of Glasgow's greatest buildings and landmarks, including Hutchesons' Hall (1802); the Nelson Monument (1806); Gorbals Parish Church; the Royal Exchange (1829 - which became the home of the Gallery of Modern Art); the Union Bank in Ingram Street (1841 - it became the Corinthian night club and restaurant complex) and the Western Club in Buchanan Street (1841).
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Gallery of Modern Art, Goma, Gorbals Parish Church, Hutchesons' Hall, Nelson Monument, portraits, Royal Exchange, Union Bank, Western Club