A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of John Pattison of Kelvingrove (1755-1807). The painting was by Sir Henry Raeburn.
Pattison was a merchant and owned one of Glasgow's first steam-driven cotton spinning mills, at Mile End in Bridgeton. His mill is believed to have been the largest in the West of Scotland when it opened in 1800. According to the industrial archaeologist John Hume, it housed 152 mules by 1812, with 24,792 spindles and eighty-four carding engines. It was demolished in the 1890s and Bridgeton Cross Station was built on the site.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cotton manufacturers, cotton merchants/manufacturers, cotton spinning mills, Kelvingrove Park, merchants, portraits, spinning wheels, steam-powered mills, weaving