A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of William Clark of Wester Moffat (1776-1859). The painting was by Sir Daniel Macnee.
Clark was a founder of the Glasgow Free Church College, which opened in 1856 in Lynedoch Street on Woodlands Hill. Later known as the Glasgow College of the United Free Church of Scotland and then, after the union of the United Free with the Church of Scotland in 1929 as Trinity College, its three towers still grace the city's skyline at the beginning of the 21st century. The college was designed by Charles Wilson.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
benefactors, colleges, Glasgow College of the United Free Church of Scotland, Glasgow Free Church College, portraits, Trinity College