A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of John Burns (1744-1839), minister of the Barony Church 1774-1839.
Until the completion of the new Barony Church in 1800, Burns preached to his congregation in the crypt of Glasgow Cathedral. When he died in 1839 he was the Father of the Church of Scotland.
Among Burns' children, John (1775-1850) became Regius Professor of Surgery at the University of Glasgow; Alan (1781-1813) was Physician to the Imperial Court of Russia; James (1789-1871) was a shipowner and Sir George (1795-1890) was his partner in G & J Burns.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Barony Church, Church of Scotland, crypts, Glasgow Cathedral, ministers, portraits