Photograph by Thomas Annan of a portrait of Dr Robert Cleghorn (1755-1821).
Cleghorn was one of the two physicians appointed to serve at Glasgow Royal Infirmary when it opened in 1794 (he worked and taught there until 1798), was a chemistry lecturer at the University of Glasgow for many years and was a president of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
The painting was by Sir Henry Raeburn. It appeared in an 1868 exhibition of portraits of significant Glasgow figures which was held in the McLellan Galleries on Sauchiehall Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
chemistry, doctors, exhibitions, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, lecturers, McLellan Galleries, portraits, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, University of Glasgow