A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of William Spang. Spang was the first "droggist" or apothecary in Glasgow to be licensed by the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons. He is named in the Faculty's charter of 1599 as the apothecary who was responsible for inspecting "onie droggis" sold within the city.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
apothecaries, chemists, druggists, drugs, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, medicines, pharmacists, portraits, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow