The Dreghorn Mansion on Great Clyde Street. The house was built by Allan Dreghorn (1706-1764) who was a partner in the Smithfield Iron Works, a bailie in 1741 and the architect who was involved in designing St Andrew's Parish Church in St Andrew's Square. He was also involved in the timber trade and part-owned a timber yard on Clyde Street. Dreghorn was the first person in the city to own a private four-wheeled carriage.
When Allan’s son Robert (“Bob Dragon”) died in 1806, rumours abounded that his ghost haunted the building. It lay empty for a long period until a dyer called George Provand moved in. Provand had an unhappy stay. Rumours spread that two children had been enticed into the house and that red liquid had been seen running from the premises. Provand was suspected of being involved in black magic or the supply of fresh corpses for the dissection table at the University, and in 1822 a furious mob attacked the house and ransacked it.
Several of the rioters were arrested and one, Richard Campbell was sentenced to be whipped through the streets - the last time this punishment was carried out in the city.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bailies, carriages, corporal punishment, ghosts, hauntings, mansions, merchants, mobs, public whippings, resurrectionists, riots, Smithfield Iron Works, timber merchants, timber yards