The coat of arms of the House of Minto, from the wall of the main hall of the Prebendal Manse of the Rector of Peebles in the Drygate.
Sir Matthew Stewart of Minto acquired the Prebendal Manse in the mid-16th century. He probably had his arms sculptured for the wall when he rebuilt most of the house in 1605. The Stewarts of Minto were an important Glasgow family, that included the Provosts Sir Robert (1528) and Sir John Stewart (1528). The building was subsequently acquired by the Marchioness of Montrose and was inherited by the first Duke, who made substantial additions and from whom the house acquired its popular name "The Duke's Lodgings".
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coats of arms, Duke's Lodgings, heraldry, House of Minto, Prebendal Manse of the Rector of Peebles, provosts, rectors, Stewarts of Minto